Multiple Choice Questions
1) Mania involves:
2) Depressed individuals exhibit which of the following symptoms?
3) Which of the following is a behavioural symptom exhibited by individuals suffering unipolar depression?
4) DSM-IV-TR criteria for a major depressive episode includes which of the following?
5) Which of the following is a chronic mood disturbance that can cause depressive symptoms, but does not disrupt normal functioning?
6) The experience of two years of hypomania symptoms that do not meet the criteria for a manic episode is known as:
7) What percentage of adults who live in temperate climates are affected by Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)?
8) Physical symptoms of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) include which of the following?
9) In DSM-IV-TR Bipolar I disorder includes which of the following symptoms?
10) In Bipolar II Disorder, major depressive episodes alternate with periods of:
11) In Major Depression, which of the following is a significant neurotransmitter?
12) Which of the following neurotransmitters is associated specifically with Bipolar Disorder:
13) Lower levels of activation in the Prefrontal Cortex results in:
14) Decreased activation in the Anterior Cingulate Cortex (ACC) results in which of the following?
15) In depression deficits in Hippocampal function may result in:
16) Structural and functional abnormalities in the Amygdala have been found to be associated with Major Depression The role of the Amygdala is to:
17) In Major Depression, hippocampal abnormalities are regularly linked with which of the following?
18) According to Freud's psychodynamic theory, the first stage of response to loss is called introjection where the individual regresses to:
19) In psychoanalytic theories of depression, introjection is a problem because?
20) Which of the following is a concept proposed by Freud to counteract the theoretical problems of introjection?
21) According to Garber & Flynn (2001), affectionless control is a type of parenting style characterized by which of the following?
22) Which of the following is one of the most influential theories of depression?
23) Beck's Cognitive Theory proposes that individuals suffering from depression have developed:
24) Which of the following is a systematic bias in thinking as outlined in Beck's negative triad of beliefs?
25) Seligman's theory of depression proposed that life experiences could give rise to a cognitive set termed:
26) In which of the following cases has Learned Helplessness Theory been applied to depression?
27) Attribution Theory of depression proposes that those who are likely to become depressed attribute negative life events in which of the following ways?
28) Hopelessness Theory proposes that depression can be predicted by:
29) What percent of individuals taking tricyclic drugs show improvement?
30) One of the major drug therapies for Bipolar disorder is: