When you have completed this chapter, you should be able to:
- Describe the characteristics and main diagnostic criteria of depression and Bipolar Disorder.
- Compare and contrast at least two biological theories of the aetiology of depression and mood disorders.
- Compare and contrast at least two psychological theories of the aetiology of depression and mood disorders.
- Distinguish between biological and psychological theories of depression.
- Describe and evaluate the role of cognitive factors in explaining the development of depression.
- Compare and contrast biological, behavioural and cognitive therapies for depression.
- Summarise the main psychological characteristics of suicide and deliberate self-harm.