When you have completed this chapter, you should be able to:
- Discuss the different ways in which learning and developmental disabilities are categorised and labelled.
- Describe and compare the various types of Specific Learning Disabilities, their aetiology and treatment.
- Describe the various forms of Intellectual Disability.
- Compare and contrast genetic, biological and environmental causes of intellectual disabilities.
- Describe and evaluate the main forms of intervention, care and support for Intellectual Disabilities.
- Describe the diagnostic criteria for the main Pervasive Developmental Disorders.
- Compare and contrast theories of the aetiology of autistic spectrum disorder.
- Describe and evaluate the main forms of intervention, care and support for individuals with Pervasive Developmental Disorders.