When you have completed this chapter, you should be able to:
- Describe the kinds of presenting symptoms that are associated with individual anxiety-based problems
- Describe the characteristics and diagnostic criteria of six of the important anxiety disorders.
- Describe, compare and contrast at least two contemporary theories of the aetiology of each disorder.
- Distinguish between biological and psychological explanations of anxiety-based problems.
- Describe the relevance of research methodologies that have contributed to the understanding of the acquisition of anxiety.
- the cultural impact on self and identity.