When you have completed this chapter, you should be able to:
- List the various types of sexual dysfunction, their place in the sexual cycle, and describe their diagnostic criteria.
- Compare and contrast various theories of the aetiology of sexual dysfunctions.
- Describe and evaluate both psychological and biological treatments for sexual dysfunctions.
- Describe the basic characteristics of paraphilias and their diagnostic criteria.
- Describe and evaluate both psychological and biological explanations for the aetiology of paraphilias.li>
- Describe and evaluate behavioural, cognitive and biological treatments for paraphilias.
- Describe the basic features of gender identity disorder and list the diagnostic criteria.
- Describe and evaluate treatments for gender identity disorder.
- Discuss some of the conceptual and ethical issues involved in defining and diagnosing sexual and gender identity disorders.