When you have completed this chapter, you should be able to:
- Describe the main diagnostic criteria for substance use and dependency and be able to define key terms such as craving, tolerance and withdrawal.
- Describe the specific characteristics of a range of substances that give rise to dependency and abuse, including specific stimulants, sedatives, and hallucinogenic drugs.
- Describe and evaluate the psychological, physical health and economic costs of specific substance use disorders.
- Describe a developmental model of substance dependency and evaluate the risk factors that contribute to the different stages in this model.
- Describe a tiered approach to treating substance use disorders, and evaluate the efficacy of a range of psychological and biological treatment methods.