1. One of these statements about job selection is FALSE. But which one?
2. The process by which members of a society are taught how to behave and feel by influential members of that society is referred to as ________________.
3. Once you have started work for an organization, through socialization and training it will seek to shape you to fit in and to contribute to achieving its goals. But which of the following is NOT true of socialization?
4. All of the following are examples of selection procedures used by organizations to match people with jobs except for ___________.
5. Which one of these statements about training is FALSE?
6. Of these assertions about leadership styles, one is correct. Which one is it?
7. People’s temple cult leader, Reverend Jim Jones, persuaded his followers to feed a poison-laced drink to their children and then drink it themselves, and nearly 1,000 people died. This is an example of the negative influence of _______________.
8. Which of the following characteristics are contributors to job satisfaction, as identified in Hackman and Oldham’s (1976) influential job characteristics theory?
9. Which of the following are likely to make us find a situation stressful?
10. One of these statements referring to organizational culture is FALSE – please highlight it:
11. According to French and Raven’s (1959) five sources of power, which of the following combinations of types and sources of power are correct?
12. Which source of power, according to French and Raven (1959), would be represented by delaying the payment of expense claims or denying requested vacation time to employees?
13. A major area of research on power in organizations examines the experiences of women at work. Which of the statements given below is also true of women at work?
14. What types of experiences continue to constitute significant problems for women at work?
15. Hackman and Oldham (1976) identified which qualities to be most important for job satisfaction?
16. The shared belief among members of a work team that it is safe to take interpersonal risks and that they will not be rejected or punished for speaking up is referred to as ______________.
17. Research has indicated that egocentricity, group polarization and production-blocking all contribute to diminished __________.
18. The hierarchical organizational structure of Disneyland, with employees working at varying levels of status including food vendors, street cleaners, ride operators and supervisors, represents what type of organizational culture?
19. What are the psychological effects of unemployment on individuals?
20. Which of the following statements regarding the psychological effects of unemployment is FALSE?