1. Identify the true statement from those given below. In the health psychology model:
2. Which of the following do we know to be true of health psychology?
3. All of the following factors contribute to individuals’ unrealistic optimism about their chances of getting an illness or other health problems except for _________________.
4. Which is NOT the case? The stages of change model:
5. Based on the stages of change model developed by Prochaska and DiClemente (1982), if a person notices that she has been coughing a lot recently and begins to think about stopping smoking over the next six months, she would be at which stage of making behavioural changes?
6. According to the health belief model, behaviour is a product of a set of core beliefs that have been redefined over the years. But which of the following is NOT one of these original core beliefs?
7. The original protection motivation theory claimed that health-related behaviours are a product of, and therefore predicted by, five components. But which of the following is NOT one of these?
8. Based on the theory of planned behaviour, if the important people in your life want you to cut down on the amount of alcohol that you drink, what else needs to be in place in order for actual alcohol consumption to change?
9. Using interviews with patients suffering from a variety of illnesses, Leventhal et al. identified several dimensions of illness beliefs:
10. All of the following are behavioural risk factors associated with coronary heart disease except for _____________.
11. Consider the following statements: “If I get medicine from my doctor, my cold will go away.” “My cold was caused by being run-down.” What are these statements examples of?
12. Which of the following is NOT true of stress?
13. Based on the work of James Pennebaker and colleagues, disclosing or expressing oneself through writing and talking has been associated with improvements on which types of health outcomes?
14. Which of the following statements about Lazarus’s theory of appraisal is FALSE?
15. According to Lazarus, the degree to which a potential stressor will produce stress depends on the role of which psychological process?
16. Alarm, resistance and exhaustion describe three stages represented in which model of stress?
17. We now know that health professionals may behave not just according to their education and training, but also according to their own ‘lay beliefs’. But which of the following beliefs has been indicated by research to influence the development of a health professional’s original diagnosis?
18. Research has indicated that the beliefs of health professionals can affect the initial diagnoses that they make. Which beliefs have been identified as affecting the practice of health professionals?
19. The negative emotional experience resulting from a mismatch between the individual’s appraisal of a stressor and the individual’s ability to cope with the stressor is a common definition for which psychological phenomenon?
20. Psychology has an important role to play at all stages of chronic illnesses such as coronary heart disease (CHD). But which one of the following is usually NOT the case in terms of the psychology behind such an illness?