Biogeography is the science that seeks to explain the distribution of species, and higher taxa, on the surface of the Earth. The tutorial examines processes, such as species ecology and movement in relation to climate, that explain distributions at the species level. We then move on to grander biogeographic patterns and the longer term processes, particularly continental drift, that produce them.
- How are flora and fauna distributed across the globe?
- What factors limit the geographic range of a species?
- How does a species spread from region to region?
- How do climate changes affect geographical distribution?
- How has continental drift affected geographical distribution?
- What happens when two continents collide?