Back

Establishment of molecular typing scheme for determination of recurrence and reinfection of Mycobacterium tuberculosis

Abstract number: P1681

Lu J-J., Lee Y-C., Sun J-R., Lee S-Y.

Objectives: The purpose of this study was to establish a typing scheme to distinguish between recurrence and reinfection of Mycobacterium tuberculosis (MTB).

Methods: Four hundreds and nine MTB isolates from 323 patients were typed by two different molecular typing methods including mycobacterial interspersed repetitive unit (MIRU) and spoligotyping. Nineteen loci were selected for MIRU typing, and a commercial kit was used for spoligotyping. Patients with multiple MTB isolates of different types were considered reinfected, and those with multiple isolates of the same types were considered as having recurrent infection or incomplete-treatment.

Results: By spoligotyping, 229 of the 409 (56.0%) isolates were determined to belong to the Beijing genotypes, and the other 180 (44.0%) were non-Beijing genotypes. A total of 160 MIRU types were identified among the 409 MTB isolates. 66 patients were found to have more than one MTB infection and therefore had more than one MTB isolate. 51 of these patients had multiple MTB isolates with the same genotypes and antibiotic susceptibility patterns. The other 15 patients had multiple MTB isolates with different MIRU types or antibiotic susceptibility patterns, including 4 with isolates with different MIRU genotypes, 8 with isolates of different antibiotic susceptibility patterns, and 3 with isolates that were different in both genotypes and antibiotic susceptibility patterns. Therefore, 7 of these patients (7/66; 10.6%) were classified as reinfected and the other 59 (89.4%) belonged to the recurrence or incomplete-treatment group. Isolates with antibiotic susceptibility changed from susceptible to resistant were mainly from patients treated with isoniazid and rifampin.

Conclusion: MIRU molecular typing is a reliable and efficient method not only for epidemiological study and outbreak surveillance but also for determination of recurrence and reinfection of Mycobacterium tuberculosis. This method could also provide physicians with useful information for outcome treatment.

Session Details

Date: 19/04/2008
Time: 00:00-00:00
Session name: 18th European Congress of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases
Subject:
Location: Barcelona, Spain
Presentation type:
Back to top