Back

Epidemiology of ESBL-positive Enterobacteriacae in Copenhagen, Denmark

Abstract number: 1733_853

Fjeldsøe-Nielsen H., Friis-Møller A., Schrøder Hansen D., Frimodt-Møller N., Schønning K.

Objectives: The aim of this study was to describe the epidemiology of ESBL-producing Enterobacteriacae and the initial molecular typing of prevailing b-lactamases in Copenhagen, Denmark.

Methods: 79 consecutive incident ESBL positive isolates were detected between January 1st and June 30th 2006. A 10 mg cefpodoxime disc and other 2nd- and 3rd-generation cephalosporins were used to screen for b-lactamase production. 32/79 (41%) isolates have subsequently been further characterised by PCR.

Results: 33/79 (42%) infections were community acquired (diagnosed in specimens from the primary care sector or emergency departments) the remaining 46/79 (58%) being nosocomial infections. There was as expected a gender difference with 58% women and 42% men. Age ranged from 1–99 years with a median 70 years. Infections were dominated by the urinary tract 65/79 (82%). 32 incident isolates were characterised by PCR during this period of which 25 were found CTX-M type positive. CTX-M was the single b-lactamase detected in 16 of these, the remaining 9 isolates harbouring CTX-M and other b-lactamases as well such as TEM and SHV. 2/32 isolates remained uncharacterised.

Conclusion: Many ESBL positive Enterobacteriacae infections are acquired in the community. The urinary tract alone accounts for 82% of all incident isolates. Older people and women seem to be more prevalent. 25/32 (78%) isolates were PCR positive for CTX-M type b-lactamase. CTX-M type b-lactamase seems to be the most prevalent among ESBL-producing Enterobacteriacae in Copenhagen, Denmark.

Session Details

Date: 31/03/2007
Time: 00:00-00:00
Session name: European Society of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases
Subject:
Location: ICC, Munich, Germany
Presentation type:
Back to top