Back

Oral lactobacilli in dental caries

Abstract number: 1733_729

Szkaradkiewicz A.K., Stopa J.

Objectives: Caries is a unique multifactorial infectious disease, inducing local destruction of dental tissues. Bacteria of the Lactobacillus genus have been well documented to be involved in progress of the carietic process. Present study aimed at evaluation involvement of Lactobacillus spp. producing or not producing hydrogen peroxide in active caries.

Methods: Material for the studies involved samples of the full saliva obtained from 120 patients (20–49 years of age), in whom clinic, according to World Health Organization criteria, permitted to diagnose active caries in 45 patients (group 1) or diagnose patients as caries free (75 patients; group 2). The samples of saliva were plated on Rogosa agar and the cultured isolates obtained in anaerobic conditions were identified using API 50 CHL (bioMérieux). In parallel, for detection of hydrogen peroxide production by the isolated Lactobacillus spp. TMB-Plus agar was applied.

Results: In group 1 with active caries saliva of all patients was found to contain Lactobacillus spp. unable to produce hydrogen peroxide. On the other hand, in 42 (56%) patients in the caries free group (group 2) presence of hydrogen peroxide-producing Lactobacillus spp. was disclosed while no such Lactobacillus spp. were detected in the remaining 33 (44%) patients of group 2.

Conclusions: Development of caries seems to be linked to presence of oral lactobacilli which produce no hydrogen peroxide. Detection of hydrogen peroxides, produced by Lactobacillus spp. in saliva, may be of diagnostic importance in evaluation of the risk of intense caries.

Session Details

Date: 31/03/2007
Time: 00:00-00:00
Session name: European Society of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases
Subject:
Location: ICC, Munich, Germany
Presentation type:
Back to top